Hello!

Welcome to the Adams family homepage!

Clan Chrisdean: Scottish; Family of Christ bearers

Friday, March 30, 2012

Parenting Challenges

Parenting Challenges...



  There are so many arent there? One of the hardest things for most parents is to let our small children do important things that they may 'mess up'. Or , letting small children do jobs that require skill....
  Well I have had to force myself to 'let go' and let children, small ones even~do important jobs. For example...the 5&7 year old came up to me a couple of weeks ago and said 'Mom it is time to plant the garden!!! You cant do it so can we go plant some seeds?"
  I, being so wise, knew that (since the garden hadn't been tilled or had amendments added yet,) it was more important for them to 'think' they were being useful though they wouldn't really be doing so. I was so proud of them however,.. they got little pots, put dead dirt into them, planted watermelon seeds (heedless of the appropriate depth to plant them) and the 5 year old even remembered to water every day!
  Imagine my surprise when I finally got out into the garden 2 days ago and found 25 watermelon plants growing in little pots in a neat little cluster in the garden! Apparently the soil didn't know it was dead and the watermelon seeds had no idea what kind of inexperienced gardeners were planting them:)
  I can honestly say that I have never been able to get 25 watermelons seeds to come up! And, that is with miracle grow potting soil, and measuring with a ruler the appropriate depth.
  So, lesson reinforced. Let go and let them! Praise the Lord that , in my 'wisdom' I didnt interfere with their desire to serve their family, I didnt rob them of the opportunity to exercise great character traits ....diligence, responsibility, creativity, etc....after all that is the real fruit. The watermelons will just be a bonus:)

No comments: