Hello!

Welcome to the Adams family homepage!

Clan Chrisdean: Scottish; Family of Christ bearers

Friday, March 16, 2012

Adrenals.....

  Fatigue or exhaustion, it is practically the same! You feel exhausted and fatigued! And, if you weren't already feeling poorly enough...try reading up on all of the info available on the subject! That is really exhausting!
  I am so grateful for all of that info though! I am so grateful for all of the Dr's, health care providers, bloggers etc who share what they know so that people like me can be informed!
  I think it only appropriate to do my small part in educating people! I am now a firm believer in taking care of your adrenals! If you do or don't have adrenal fatigue, there is much you can do!
  Probably one of the best sources of info I have found on the 'disorder'(?) is from Dr. Lam who is easily found online. However there is no replacing my dear friend who is going through this too and never tells me she tires of my endless inquires! So here is a minor explanation of what is going on with me and hopefully not you!...(Most of this info is from Dr. Lam)
  The adrenal glands are located on top of each kidney. They produce hormones that help control metabolism, chemicals in the blood, and stress responses. Adrenal gland disorders can increase the level of hormones produced.
 The adrenal gland consists of two  sections, each produces a specific set of hormones. The outer portion of the adrenals, known as the adrenal cortex, produces corticosteroids including cortisol that functions in the use and storage of energy, aldosterone that stimulates the reabsorption of salts and water, and the hormones  estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.
The inner portion of the adrenals, known as the adrenal medulla, produces hormones classified as catecholamines including epinephrine, also called adrenalin, and norepinephrine, also called noradrenalin. Epinephrine and norepinephrine act on the (sympathetic) nervous system. Adrenal gland disorders can cause the adrenal medulla to produce increased levels of these hormones.
  Whew! All that to say that my adrenal medulla works overtime when I should be sleeping, I have low blood pressure but high pulse rate...and my cortisol production is down, which means my progesterone is low which means the hormone estrogen is the dominant hormone in my body right now. This leads to the 'fatigue' or tiredness, or chronic muscle and joint pain.
  I don't really know too much about it but one thing I am convinced about; having spoken to several people, Dr's and Dr Lam himself...natural remedies are the only long term effective way to correct the 'OAT AXIS' dysregulation that is occurring. That stands for ovary,adrenal, and thyroid. They all work together. Taking progesterone is not going to help the thyroid, taking thyroid meds is not only addictive but taking them will not help the ovaries or adrenals. As well, if and when you do choose to take a progesterone supplement it is HIGHLY recommended that it not be a synthetic form.
  It seems that when it comes to certain progesterone replacement therapies and thyroid medication therapies, that your body decides it will let the meds do the work for them. So instead of helping your body to restore and produce normal levels of what it needs, it will now do little or nothing on its own.
  My hope and goal is to be able to 'get' regulated by long term natural means. So far Ive heard from one source that it may take a year, another source has said two years.
  Being 42, it means that Ive had that many years of environmental toxins, and stress. So 2 years doesn't sound so long after all.
  A few friends have asked if 'having a lot of children' produces this 'disorder'. No! It is not a result of being a homeschool mom either:) It takes years for ones body to get this way, it therefore stands to reason that it will take some time to correct it. Individuals are all born with a certain 'adrenal strength,or constitution'. Some bodies are able to handle more than others, also some bodies have had to deal with more than other bodies...this explains why everyone isn't suffering from this.
  A small piece of advice 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you' and 'Prefer one another ahead of yourselves'....Do those verses seem out of place here? Well not if you've heard the sad, heartbreaking stories that I have of women who are misunderstood because they have adrenal fatigue/exhaustion.
  I posted earlier this week that 'supermom is dead and if she isn't she will be soon. God did not call us to be super He called us to be faithful'. Those super mom (super bloggers maybe?) that look down on this weakness in others makes me want to remind them that they do not stand in their own strength....and if you do take heed lest you yourself fall. "Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy". May we all be merciful to one another today, and also to ourselves. There is no dishonor in caring for our temple:)

2 comments:

Homestead Living said...

thanks for sharing this. I am struggling with low progesterone and estrogen. My gynecologist wants me to use a 'natural cream' but I am hesitant. I may check out this Dr. Lam and see what natural recommendations he has. When my levels are low are I definitely not what I want to be. Thanks again.

The Adams Family said...

You are quite welcome! Defintely check him out as he has everything you need to understand what is going on in your body! You can download his e book 'estrogen dominance' for free. It really helped me understand it all so that I can determine how Im going to approach this! Every blessing on you!
Dana