Hello!

Welcome to the Adams family homepage!

Clan Chrisdean: Scottish; Family of Christ bearers

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

True happiness...

This is a portion of a writing of JCRyle;

(J.C. Ryle, "HAPPINESS" 1878)

Happiness is what all mankind want to obtain--the desire for it is deeply planted in the human heart. All men naturally dislike pain, sorrow, and discomfort. All men naturally like ease, comfort, and gladness. All men naturally hunger and thirst after happiness. As the sick man longs for health--so does poor mortal man long to be happy.

But, alas, how few consider what they really mean, when they talk of happiness! How vague and indistinct and undefined are the ideas of most people are upon the subject! They think some are happy--who in reality are miserable; they think some are gloomy and sad--who in reality are truly happy. They dream of a happiness which in reality, would never satisfy their nature's needs.

  This makes me think of the people who just assume that stay at home moms are somehow, unhappy. When a woman rejoices in Gods structure of authority and obeys her husband, some call that oppressive. That is exactly what JC Ryle is speaking of here. Many are the people (especially other women) who would call me an unhappy, adult company deprived, oppressed wife and mother with no life...my question to those who think this is; How would you know? Have you ever asked? Me or any other whom you have prematurely judged?
  Although I know of those who speak these things of me and others; I never once have been asked. I will therefore answer to save anyone the trouble. My answer begins with a question too...what is your idea of happiness? My idea of happiness is living a life that is pleasing to the Lord, honoring to those that I love and consistent with the Christian life that I profess to be living. I am blessed to have a wonderful husband, beautiful children, and the freedom to home disciple as we choose. That makes me happy. Am I perfect? NOT a chance. Do I always have good days? NOT a chance...but I am happy and blessed AND I really relish and enjoy the life I live, and the way that the Lord has allowed me to live it. May the Lord grant you such happiness as well! The short answer; YES I am happy:)

2 comments:

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Hello, Dana! Thank you for sharing J.C. Ryle! I agree with you: "My idea of happiness is living a life that is pleasing to the Lord, honoring to those that I love and consistent with the Christian life that I profess to be living." This is the best answer we can give, and it is pleasing to the Lord! May the Lord overflow His bounty to you and your household as we all worship the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Emmanuel, God WITH US! Dear sister, lots of love in Christ!! Jacqueline

Dana Adams said...

Thank you Jacqueline! It is always a pleasure to hear from you! When I posted this I thought it was consistent with the name of your blog! "Deep roots at home". That is what we have isnt it? Blessings and joy to you and yours! Dana