Hello!

Welcome to the Adams family homepage!

Clan Chrisdean: Scottish; Family of Christ bearers

Saturday, August 3, 2013

HERE IT IS! THE WICK OMNIBUS!

This guy does a far better job than I could do of giving a raving review of this incredible series so I will let him have at it!
 

Dear review reader,

How I envy you. If you are reading this, there's a good chance it means that you have never read W1CK and you're trying to decide whether or not you'll give the Omnibus a chance.

If you do, you'll get thrown into the kind of mindbending narrative that redefines the way you thought about books.

And that's why I envy you. I wish I was, just like you, about to embark on this fabulous adventure for the first time.

It makes me kind of mad, actually.

Sure, I could reread it, but the pleasure of entering that world without knowing what to expect can't be repeated. Well, actually, that's not quite true. The feeling itself can be repeated: I had experienced it before when I discovered Hugh Howey's Wool.

You see? That's the type of experience you're about to face.

OK. A few arguments to help you decide, then. But no spoilers here, don't worry.

First, it's cheaper than buying the four separate books that constitute the whole story.

Second, no, you don't need to be a science-fiction addict, or a dystopia-lover, or a survivalist buff, or anything really, to love this book. Except, and that's my third point...

Third, this book is first and foremost real, good, well-written Literature with a capital L. I mean a book written by an author, not just a writer. I mean a book in which each word was carefully weighed and compared with others before being chosen for its surface and hidden meaning. I mean a book that will thrill you first with its narrative, but that will more importantly keep you on your toes and make you read between the lines to get the deeper meaning.

About that. And I could have said... Wait, I'll just do it:

Fourth, don't worry about that deeper meaning. You may have read about Michael Bunker before, you might have seen a photo or two, and you could be worried that his intentions don't fit in with your lifestyle or beliefs. I'm saying this because that's what I felt at first when I started. I was a little suspicious.

So let me just get things straight with that "deeper meaning" thing. It's not about religion or survivalism or anything like that. Once again, it's all about Literature and tying things together, putting multiple meanings into words, creating Meaning.

An author, what I personally call an author, is not someone who spends hours a day just to come up with flips and twists. There has to be more. And there is with Bunker.

It won't try to convert you to anything or ask you to believe in anything. It's "just" an awesome narrative written like a classic by a master of letters.
 
Max Zaoui ~ Everyone’s a Critic Reviews
Copyright © 2013 Michael Bunker, All rights reserved.

No comments: