Hello!

Welcome to the Adams family homepage!

Clan Chrisdean: Scottish; Family of Christ bearers

Monday, April 15, 2013

Lemon Balm!

My Lemon Balm is up and beautiful already!
It is truly one of my favorite herbs! It can be used as a refreshing tea, or it can be used to make a healing oil!
We make double infused lemon balm oil. It heals scraped or scratched up skin.
One year a friend of ours got a rope burn on his hand and while I was away the girls gave him double infused Lemon Balm for his wound. He liked it so much he kept the bottle!
I would have offered a comfrey ointment had I been there but the Lemon Balm was sufficient for his injury.
To make Infused Lemon balm oil, you can use fresh or dried lemon balm. I use fresh of course. Infusing is a matter of warming ( not boiling) an herb in oil for a couple of hours. Double infused simply means doing it twice!
I use almond oil or olive oil. In my opinion, olive oil that is less " virgin" the better. The less virgin the oil is, the higher temperature the oil can bear.
Personally I use a mini potpourri crock pot looking appliance. This keeps the oil steadily warm without getting too hot.
I use about 2 cups of oil and stuff in as many bruised ( crush them with your hand) leaves as the oil can sustain. After 2 hours of gentle nearly hot warming , I remove the leaves and press the excess oil out of them, into the oil. I then get a batch of new leaves and do it again.
If you make a large batch of your oil as I do, I suggest you either add the contents of two vitamin e capsules, or a dropper full of Rosemary extract. Either one will act as a preservative.
Enjoy Spring and may Your garden grow!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi! This is great info...thanks for sharing about using lemon balm as an oil. Will be pinning this info!

The Adams Family said...

Glad you find it helpful! We love lemon balm!